    Hi Chad,

    In some sense, there is no difference between JSP and *standard* JSF.  I
say that because JSF uses JSP for creating and rendering views.

    The real difference, though, is that while JSP allows use of static and
dynamic elements, you still usually end up with a lot of code intermixed
with the markup ( usually HTML. )  JSF aims more at MVC, with components, a
component model and a request processing lifecycle.  In the typical case,
JSF is layered on top of JSP.

    There are problems, even though the latest JSP spec works to
relieve some of them.  See "Improving JSF by Dumping JSP" at:

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/06/09/jsf.html

    I've taken that advice to heart and have been using Facelets:

https://facelets.dev.java.net/

which pretty much lets the HTML be HTML ( you do have Facelets components as
tags and attributes ) and Java be code where it ought to be - in Java
classes.  Facelets is JSF with its own view renderer.  Another nice thing is
that you no longer have a JSP compile process.

    I think the main drawback to consider for a rich client ( Swing ) in
your case is the possibility of 2000 concurrent, long lasting JDBC
connections.  It makes sense for your 400 heads-down users, but could cause
some scaling problems for the entire group.  Connection pooling is the
normal answer, but there would be complications with remote clients.
However, that seems to be possible either via J2EE remote clients or COS
naming with JNDI.

    JSF allows pluggable renderers ( that's how Facelets works ) and, in a
perfect world, you could plug in a Swing renderer and use JSF for both thin
and rich clients.  Nobody's gotten around to that yet, publicly at least.

    Sounds like a fun project.  My one and only production COBOL program
emulated 3741 (?) diskette "punch", complete with verification mode, for
heads down staff, so I understand their issues.

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400