Thanks all for the responses.

Connection pooling seems to be the way to go.  Now... let me see if I can
fill that pool with water.

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
709-576-8132
rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.stjohns.ca/
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

"Joe Sam Shirah" <jshirah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2006/03/24 02:42 PM
Please respond to
Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400"
<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: AS/400 JDBC Connection

    Hi Bruce,

    If I understand your response correctly, that is, using one connection
for all instances of a servlet, you could run into some serious problems.

    The primary one is that commit() and rollback() are Connection
methods.
So, even if only two users share the connection, an unexpected commit or
rollback could occur.

    The other thing I can think of off the top of my head is that while
compliant drivers are required to handle multiple Statements on a single
Connection, some do so by handling them sequentially, causing really bad
response time.  I believe the JTOpen driver does it properly but you
should
always be  careful.

    To Ron:  The others are correct that you should use a DataSource and
pooling in a multithreaded context.  Some would say use them all the time.
Normally I would point you to some articles, but I'm in a rush today. It's
well worth your time to google, read and understandsome articles on the
benefits of DataSources and pooling.

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400