Here is a code snippet I use to create physcial file members:

    String asfile = ivFileReceive + sessionID + ".MBR";
    SequentialFile baseFile = new SequentialFile(as400, asfile);
    try {
      baseFile.addPhysicalFileMember(sessionID, null);
    } catch (AS400Exception as) {
      if (as.getAS400Message().getID().equals("CPF5812")) {
        // member exists, delete and re-add to clear the data
        baseFile.deleteMember();
        baseFile.addPhysicalFileMember(sessionID, null);
      } else throw as;
    }

===
Marshall Dunbar
DPS, Inc.
marshall@xxxxxxxxxxx
direct:(828)635-5561
main office:(317)574-4300 (800)654-4689
====

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <thunderaxiom@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/28/2006 07:51 AM
Please respond to
Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Create a member in a given file?

I need to create a member in a file.

I have the full name of the member file in an IFSFile object (i.e.
/QSYS.LIB/XQ41EXI01.LIB/EDIPOMATCE.FILE/MACT9S0BYG.MBR) and I intend to
open it as a SequentialFile, create a Record per line and put in the
data I need, and write it to the SequentialFile.

Currently my code looks pretty much like:

----
        IFSFile logMember = new IFSFile(system,
logFile.getAbsolutePath() + "/" + member.getName());

        if (logMember.exists()) {
            throw new IllegalStateException("Member already exists in
error file " + logMember);
        }

        SequentialFile sequentialFile =
getSequentialFileWithRecordFormatSet(system, logMember.getAbsolutePath());
        sequentialFile.open();
        sequentialFile.positionCursorAfterLast();

        Record record1 = sequentialFile.getRecordFormat().getNewRecord();
        record1.setField(0, "UNB01PEVRETUR");
        sequentialFile.write(record1);
--.-. where getSequentialFile looks like

    private SequentialFile getSequentialFileWithRecordFormatSet(AS400
system, String absolutePath) throws AS400Exception,
AS400SecurityException, InterruptedException, IOException,
PropertyVetoException {
        AS400FileRecordDescription recordDescription = new
AS400FileRecordDescription( system, absolutePath);

        SequentialFile sequentialFile = new SequentialFile(system,
absolutePath);
        RecordFormat[] retrieveRecordFormat =
recordDescription.retrieveRecordFormat();
        if (retrieveRecordFormat.length != 1) {
            log.warn("file does not have exactly one member: " +
absolutePath);
        }
        RecordFormat recordFormat = retrieveRecordFormat[0];
        sequentialFile.setRecordFormat(recordFormat);
        return sequentialFile;
    }

------

This is very similar to what I do when reading from a member, but the
only create method I can find creates the sequentialFile, not the
member.  Apparently "create member" is not the right term to search for
either in google or the toolbox manual, so I am a bit lost now.  I don't
grok Cobol, so I have no idea what it might be called instead.

I would appreciate a gentle hint in the right direction.

Best regards,