as400tech@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

List,
I started this post on the Midrange-L list, but was told I may have
better luck finding an answer here.

O.K., this is what is happening. I have modified Scott Klement’s
XLCRTDEMO program that creates an excel workbook from an RPG program
using the Jakarta POI java routines. This works great with the exception
of the time it takes to create the workbook. From start to finish, it is
taking about 30 minutes. It takes about 90 seconds to build the work
file and the rest of the time is being spent creating the workbook.

It was suggested that I try to optimize the .jar file using the
following command.:

SBMJOB CMD(QSH CMD('for jar in $(find /jakarta-poi-2.5.1/ -name
''*.jar''); do system "CRTJVAPGM CLSF(''"$jar"'') OPTIMIZE(40)";done'))
I was unable to get it to run as a submitted job, but I could get it to
run interactively. I now get :

find: 001-2187 The option db2_classes.jar is not valid.
This is the find command complaining. This might be because it somehow gets the "*.jar" expanded - hard to tell.

You might instead ask the invoking JAVA command to optimize to level 40, just to see if it helps. This is not saved to disk, but it will give you a hint if it is worth the effort.