    I'd be very surprised to see Vincenzo's response work.  I don't want to
put words in his mouth, but I suspect he thought you meant "accessing an MS
database", that is, SQL Server.  There is no separate DB engine with Access,
so the driver has to include or emulate Jet ( is it still called that? ) to
work with Access files.

    Typically, the JDBC-ODBC bridge, which Sun has always noted as
"experimental" - meaning buggy, not production quality, is used in
combination with an ODBC driver.  Notice that extra steps must be taken to
work with Access files on a remote machine, from an AS/400 or anything else,
because Access doesn't provide anything to talk to over the network, in and
of itself.  Access can talk to SQL Server, and Java can talk to SQL Server,
which is probably the best solution overall, but doesn't help in the normal
case.

    There are some commercial JDBC drivers that emulate the Jet engine.
I've never used them due to Access' non-standard SQL and general
unreliability in a production environment.  Google on "MS Access Java" for
more information.

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400