We are experiencing this weird problem:

  - If we start our application from the QShell command line
    (java <classname> <args>), then the application logs correctly to the log
file (the logging takes place by way of a RandomAccessFile.writeBytes)

  - If we start our application by way of calling a CL program, which, on its
turn executes RUNJVA CLASS(<classname>) ... then logging does not occur!

  That is, the problem occurs only when the Java program gets started from
within its CL wrapper, not when it gets started ?bare? from the command line.

  There were no such problem till we upgraded our iSeries from V5R1 to V5R3
(the Java version used by the application was also upgraded from 1.2.2 to
1.3.1).

  Any ideas? Following is the source of the program that makes the RUNJVA call:

  /* The program binds some intefaces to the already started  rmiregistry on
the AS400.*/
             PGM        PARM(&PORT)

               /*   DECLARE VARIABLES */
             DCL        VAR(&RATESCONT) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(20)
             DCL        VAR(&PORT) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(4)
             DCL        VAR(&USRID)  TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)
             DCL        VAR(&PASSWD)  TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)

               /* CHANGE WORKING DIRECTORY FOR ALL JAVA PROGRAMS CALL */
             CD         DIR('/JAVAAPPS')

               /* Retrieve UserID & Password combination from Data
Area,necessary for class call */
             RTVDTAARA  DTAARA(RATES (1 20)) RTNVAR(&RATESCONT)
               /* GET UserID from Data Area content - Positions 1-10 */
             CHGVAR     VAR(&USRID) VALUE(%SST(&RATESCONT 1 10))
               /* GET Password from Data Area content - Positions 11-20 */
             CHGVAR     VAR(&PASSWD) VALUE(%SST(&RATESCONT 11 10))

               /* Change Run priority to 70 to ensure that JVM runs with a low
priority */
                          CHGJOB     RUNPTY(70)

               /* Override console output to a wider record output file,
because */
             /* we don't want to lose any exception listing information
*/
                  OVRPRTF    FILE(QPRINT) PAGESIZE(66 378) CPI(15) +
                             FOLD(*YES) SAVE(*YES) USRDTA(JVACONSL)
OVRSCOPE(*JOB)

               IF         COND(&PORT *EQ '*DFT') THEN(RUNJVA +
                          CLASS(<classname goes here>) +
                          PARM(&USRID &PASSWD) CHKPATH(*IGNORE) +
                          PROP((os400.stderr +
                          'file:/JAVAAPPS/SRVCLASS_ErrorLog.doc') +
                          (os400.stdio.convert 6) (file.encoding +
                          1253) (os400.stdout +
                          'file:/JAVAAPPS/SRVCLASS_Console.doc')))
             ELSE       CMD(RUNJVA +
                          CLASS(<classname goes here>) +
                          PARM(&USRID &PASSWD &PORT) +
                          CHKPATH(*IGNORE) +
                          PROP((os400.stderr +
                          'file:/JAVAAPPS/SRVCLASS_ErrorLog2.doc') +
                          (os400.stdio.convert 6) (file.encoding +
                          1253) (os400.stdout +
                          'file:/JAVAAPPS/SRVCLASS_Console2.doc')))
             ENDPGM

  Thanks!