Thanks for this, Pierce.

I have only one copy of Tomcat installed on the system.

The web application is fully started with jars attached at the time the
'end' is submitted.

After ending, a NETSTAT *CNN indicates the Tomcat-associated ports are
indeed shutdown. The Tomcat log indicates that all Web Applications are
'removed'. So, I guess the issue is that the JVM is not shutting down due to
a programmatically spawned thread from the web application (and the still
open port is indeed the port associated with the spawned thread).

My programmatic thread is created as a daemon thread thus supposedly causing
the JVM to shutdown when all other non-daemon threads (in this case, Tomcat
threads) have died. To resolve this, I think I will need to program a shut
down of the spawned thread thereby shutting down the JVM. Either that or
discover some way of accurately identifying the QP0ZSPWT job that does not
involve creating and running in a new subsystem.

My sense now is that this is more of a Tomcat issue and so likely more
appropriate for a Tomcat forum.

Again, thanks for your help.

Chris Jewell