(1) decompiles a Java class to get the encryption key,

You can obfuscate your class to make decompile difficult:
https://www.informit.com/guides/content.asp?g=java&seqNum=109&rl=1

Kelly Cookson wrote:

Thanks for the responses. It looks like I have to create a default user profile on the iSeries so my JTOpen classes can have a user ID and password to access the iSeries. I'm thinking about a system that will let me automatically change the default user password on a regular basis.
I'm going to create a Java program on the PeopleSoft server that will:
(1) generate a random string,
(2) update the default user profile password on the iSeries with the random
string,
(3) encrypt the random string,
(4) write the encrypted string to an IFS file,
(5) FTP the IFS file to a text file on the PeopleSoft server.

I'm also going to create a Java class called Password that will read the encrypted string from the text file on the PeopleSoft server and decrypt it.
My JTOpen classes will always call the Password class to get the password for
connecting to the iSeries.

This way I never hardcode passwords into the JTOpen classes. I can change the
passwords periodically and automatically. Also, a person cannot get the
password from the PeopleSoft server unless that person: (1) decompiles a Java
class to get the encryption key, (2) gets the encrypted password from the
PeopleSoft text file, and (3) writes a script to decrypt the password. This may
not pose a serious challenge to experienced hackers, but it will pose a
challenge to most of the people inside our company firewall, where this whole
set-up sits.

I will also take your advice and assign *SIGNOFF to the First Menu of the default user profile. That means someone who manages to get the password must still find a way to exploit it through programming.
Any glaring weaknesses that I'm overlooking? Any ideas for improvements?

Thanks,
Kelly