David:

It is a database file on another iSeries. I was thinking JDBC for I/O.

I was wondering if using a DTAQ might make more sense. I have experience
in using them.

message: 4
date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:29:49 -0500
from: David Gibbs <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Reading a file in a loop over VPN...

Mike Burdette wrote:
> What I am looking for from the group is any ideas on the best practice
of
> writing this. My concern is if I write a while loop to constantly check
> the file, that this will be a drain on resources on the host as well as
> the VPN. Is there a timer API in Java (similar to the CL CMD DELAY) that
> could use to let the process sleep and wake up every 3 seconds to run
the
> I/O.

Well, the delay is easy enough ...

private void delay(int seconds) {
   try {
      Thread.sleep(seconds*1000);
   } catch (InterruptedException e) { }
}

What kind of file IO are you looking at?  Is this a database file on the
iSeries, ifs file, or PC file?

david

--
David Gibbs