Do you happen to have an example of the source code for that?  That's
exactly what I'm trying to do.  Thanks...

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
Tel: 709-576-8132
Email: rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.stjohns.ca/
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

"Paul Holm" <pholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2005/05/05 03:51 PM
Please respond to
Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Another JavaScript question,  validation

Ron,

The standard way to do validation is 2 phase.

Use JavaScript on the client to catch issues such as required fields,
field
length, etc BEFORE the form is submitted.

Then since JavaScript can be turned off and some constraints and rules may
be enforced at the database level you must also validate on the server. If
you have an error you can return to the calling JSP and show the user the
error.  The error can be put in the session or request.

So steps are:

1. Forms have javaScript to validate  on the client
2. Forms submitted to server where server side validation and database
validation occur
3. Try catch around database code return errors back to jsp for user
display

Here is an example of both client side (notice required fields and server
side,  try to insert a customer with the same customer #  as an existing)

http://www.planetjavainc.com/wow63x/runApp?id=371&_pj_lib=wowsamp60

Duplicate key assume you have a unique index on cusnum.

HTH

Thanks,  Paul

Business: 760-432-0600   Cell:  760-415-8830
PlanetJ - Makers of WOW  (AKA... WebSphere on Steroids)
You Need Web?  You Need WOW!  www.planetjavainc.com
WOW!!!!