Some of the leads I got when I first brought up this subject pointed me in the direction of a problem with the Mac 1.4 JVM rendering fonts that had been AffineTransform-ed. I can now confirm that with a simple "one-class wonder." The source code below effectively duplicates the rendering problem of the emulator:

package Test30MR05;

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.geom.*;
import javax.swing.*;

public class Test30MR05 extends JPanel {
protected Image bufferImage;
protected Graphics bgr; // back graphics
protected Font font;
protected Font tallFont;

public Test30MR05() {
Dimension size = new Dimension(500,500);
setPreferredSize(size);
setMinimumSize(size);
setMaximumSize(size);
setBackground(Color.blue);
font = new Font("Serif", Font.PLAIN, 16);
tallFont = font.deriveFont(AffineTransform.getScaleInstance(1.0, 1.6));
}
public void setup(){
bufferImage = createImage(500,500);
bgr = bufferImage.getGraphics();
bgr.setColor(Color.red);
bgr.fillRect(0,0,500,500);
bgr.setColor(Color.white);
bgr.drawLine(250,0,250,500);
bgr.drawLine(0,250,500,250);
bgr.setFont(font);
bgr.drawString("I like spam. This is normal.",251,249);
bgr.drawLine(0,300,500,300);
bgr.setFont(tallFont);
bgr.drawString("I like spam. This is taller.", 251, 299);
}

  public void paint(Graphics g) {
    if (bufferImage != null)
      g.drawImage(bufferImage, 0, 0, null);
    Test30MR05 foo = new Test30MR05();
    JFrame frame = new JFrame();
    frame.getContentPane().add(foo);
    frame.pack();
    foo.setup();
    frame.setVisible(true);

Later today, I hope to have a ZIP file with the above, in source, class, and jar, with WinDoze and MacOS-X screen shots, on my web site. Anybody here know about the Affine bug, or any workarounds for it?

--
JHHL