Whenever you sign onto an FTP server, you are given a default "directory".
This is usually indicated by the FTP server at the time you log in.  You can
see what your default "directory" is at any time by issuing the FTP "pwd"
(print working directory) command.

On the mainframe, the traditional OS/390 file system does not have
directories like the PC or the IFS but has a flat naming space not unlike
the traiditional OS/400 file system which uses library/filename.  On the
mainframe the format of a file is name1.name2.name3 where each namex
component can be up to eight characters and the total length of the data set
name can be 44 characters.

The current "directory" is prepended to the data set name when you do a put
with a relative name.  An absolute name (I'm not sure of the exact
terminology here) is surrounded by single quote marks like this:
'MYUID.MYDATA.SET.NAME'.  A relative file name is -not- surrounded by single
quotes like this: MYDATA.SET.NAME.  If you specify a relative name (ie
without quote marks), the default "directory" is prepended to the file name,
just like on any other FTP server.  To get the file name you want, specify
the exact file name surrounded by single quotes.

HTH,
Gary