If you are looking for an IDE to use for learning,
your best option is to go with Eclipse instead of
NetBeans... for several reasons. First, both Eclipse
and Websphere's IDEs are virtually identical, as IBM's
studio is built on the Eclipse platform. That's
because IBM is a major player in the Eclipse
Foundation. Secondly, Eclpise is a free opensource
product as well as Netbeans. Eclipse also has a
tremendous amount of plugin support available for
almost any functionality you will ever need. One of
the best plugins is Genuitec's MyEclipse, which only
costs $29.95 per year, and is worth every penny
because combined with opensource Eclipse, it makes it
a package that has been rated even higher that the
most espensive IDE's on the market. Take a look at
this excellent comparison article for details & proof
of that last comment...
http://www.builderau.com.au/program/0,39024614,39174040,00.htm

And finally, while there are numerous books that great
for learning Java, my favorites are as follows:

A) For pure Java language training - "Complete Java 2
Certification Study Guide" by Simon Roberts, Philip
Heller, Michael Ernest (published by Sybex). This will
teach you the language "ropes" well enough to get you
Sun Certified. It's what I used to study for my test.

B) For using Java in an AS400 environment - "iSeries &
AS400 - Java at Work" edited by Don Denoncourt. I
bought this when I came to work at an AS400 shop for
the first time and it has helped a lot.

C) For more advanced Sun Certification - "SCWCD Exam
Study Kit" by Hanumant Deshmukh and Jignesh Malavia.
By the way, SCWCD stands for Sun Certified Web
Component Developer. This book was indispensable in my
certification prep for this level of Sun's exam.

Thanks,
Ivan Hurtado
Sr. Architect - Hull & Co.

--- SHARON ROGERS <SHARON.ROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> This may be too simple for you at this point but
> Head First Java

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596004656/qid=1107962225

/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1751397-7345553?v=glance&s=books&n=507846>