Has anyone had any luck trying to get Hyades/IBM Agent Controller (from
WSAD) on any version of iSeries working properly?  I've gotten the agent
application (RASERVER) loaded and running on V5R1, but when I try to attach
to the agent from WSAD 5.1.2 on my workstation, I get no agents in my list.
I'm starting the RASERVER job first, and then trying to start a small Java
application from QSH like this (replacing the <> values with appropriate
values): "java -cp <classpath> -XrunpiAgent <myClass>".  The -XrunpiAgent
is supposed to cause the Hyades system to begin receiving profiling
information from the JVM so that I can view it in WSAD.

Here are some of the things I "know" so far:

- My workstation is attaching at least partially because I get a connection
error in WSAD when the RASERVER job isn't running when I try to attach, but
no errors if the job is started when I attach.
- The iSeries JVM is finding the PIAGENT service program in the HYADES
library, because if I rename that program, and use the "-XrunpiAgent"
parameter on my call to java, the JVM won't start.
- I can use the "Launch" function to successfully launch a new process
through the agent and profile it.

It seems like I'm really close, but I'm just missing something.  I'll be
glad to post whatever anyone wants if someone needs a config file or
something.

The whole reason I'm doing this is to be able to profile a running
WebSphere 4.0 application to help track down an application slowdown that
has eluded us thus-far.  The promise of the IBM Agent Controller/Hyades
system is that I can set an application to use it in a production
environment and it will cause no real overhead until I attach to it with
WSAD's profiling system.  This is great because the other ways I've found
to accomplish application profiling cause too much overhead to be added to
an application's response time at all times (bad in a production
environment), force me to have to restart the server to enable profiling
(also a no-no for us in production), make me buy a new application (limited
resources), or cause me to recode the application (see previous issue).

Chris DeLashmutt
Senior R&D Analyst
LeasePlan USA
1165 Sanctuary Pkwy., Alpharetta, GA 30004
Phone: 678-202-8695
Fax: 678-921-4895
ClearCase problems? Check out the LeasePlan ClearCase FAQ for answers!