Hi
Thanx Sergio, i was thinking about using threads in
java and JDBC to get data, since i am not sure if we
can use MQSeries, and we dont want to put any code on
other AS400 box, but only in websphere.
So i will write a program which will start thread for
each AS400, and collect the data, is this a good
approach
what is DDM?? where can i get more info about it

Ashish

--- Sergio Carabetta <Sergio.Carabetta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Ashish,
>
> The MOM scenario:
>
> Use any messaging middleware (including WebSphere
> MQ) to send an XML
> formatted "request-for-data" to all participating
> (registered) AS400s. Each
> request should specify a common destination (reply
> to queue) where your web
> app will wait for responses. In the AS400s, the
> messaging server will
> trigger the agent upon receipt of the request. The
> agent will process it,
> collect the data, and return an XML formatted
> response to the mentioned
> reply-to queue. In the meantime, your web app will
> be waiting for the

ng them as they arrive.

> The async nature of this scheme allows all of your
> AS400s to collect and
> process the data almost in parallel, because you
> "fired and forgot" the
> request instead of the serial round-robin approach.
>
> I would recommend this scenario only if the data
> collection process takes a
> considerable time. For almost instant queries, maybe
> a DDM or JDBC approach
> will be better.
>
> Sergio
>

> >> message: 7
> >> date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:49:18 -0700 (PDT)
> >> from: Ashish Kulkarni
> <kulkarni_ash1312@xxxxxxxxx>
> >> subject: RE: design question, how to handle this
> project
>
> >> Hi
> >> Thanx for the emails, now that i have some more
> idea
> >> about my project, this is a MRP system which
> maintains
> >> inventory etc, so i have to build a web interface
> >> which  will collect information from all the
> AS400
> >> systems and display them in one page.
> >> 1) I can develop "agent", which is a java program
> >> which is knows the database(different versions of
> my
> >> application), and i call this java program which
> will
> >> extract data from AS400 and return it to my main
> >> application to display.
> >> 2) DO you suggest to use MQSeries or ome
> messaging
> >> service to get data, instead of using JDBC .
> >> 3) How can i make the process parallel, so
> instead of
> >> going one database at a time, spawn a web of
> request
> >> and get the data from different systems?
>
> >> Thanx for all the help
> >> Ashish
> --
> This is the Java Programming on and around the
> archives

=====
A$HI$H