    Hi Ashish,

    While we don't have the complete context and requirements, in general I
agree with Paul Holm's analysis.  While the agent option decouples and
makes things very generic, the data would have to be handled twice and you
have software to maintain on the client.  I'm a big fan of messaging and use
XML when appropriate, but in a homogeneous environment ( which can here
be expanded to any system with a DBMS and JDBC driver ) that just wants to
grab the data for processing, these layers introduce complexity and impact
performance.  Remember that SQL provides a standard for formats too and
you can just talk directly to the DBMS engine over the network.

    The main thing I would add is a class ( possibly with subclasses per
version ) that knows how to access and format the data into a standard
ResultSet according to the "query operations" table Paul mentioned.  Then I
would take advantage of the network latency mentioned by Sergio ( and the
fact that the remote system is doing most of the work ) by having a method
in the class that runs as a thread to access the data.  Your reporting
process can create an instance for each machine you want to access and
start them up.  You could also implement a callback to inform the main
process when the operation is finished and the data is ready.  You could
subset operations any way you like to conserve connections and memory, or
maximize performance.

    It's probably a different story if the data needs to be massaged,
summarized or interaction between the values from different tables on the
same system needs to happen before getting to your reporting process.  Most
of the concepts would be the same, but most activity should
occur on the remote systems - essentially Sergio's agents.

    Again, we don't have the info to make the proper judgement, so that'll
have to be left up to you.

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO         -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?             http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400