On 07/05/2004 at 11:23:39 PM, Joe Pluta wrote:
Blair Wyman and the rest of the folks that built the JVM have done a
fantastic job.  They've made some design decisions I don't agree with;
for example, I'd like to be able to start "system-wide" JVMs that I
could link my job to.  This would not only reduce the startup overhead,
but would also allow jobs yet one more way to inter-communicate - they
could share Java objects!  That would be sooooo cool.
--- end of excerpt ---

Hmmm....
Indeed, would be pretty cool.
But, the usual answer for this type of request would be something like
"use threads", right?

Since logically this is what a threaded application does, using job-wide
JVM that you
link your thread to (attach JVM) or create a new thread in, reducing the
startup overhead of
a processing unit (the thread), and allow the processing units to
inter-communicate in new ways.

I have my own knowledge and opinions about why threading is easy/difficult
and what its
suited/not-suited for, but this group is a bit emotionally charged, so
I'll keep those
to myself here.  8-)

SO...
In general, what are you opinions on the threads type of answer?
Too MUCH sharing and too complex of synchronization/coding/debug of those
items?
Lack of RPG or Native language support for a good threading model?
Difficulty linking this model with large amounts of existing job-based
code?

"The stuff we call "software" is not like anything that human society
  is used to thinking about. Software is something like a machine, and
  something like mathematics, and something like language, and
  something like thought, and art, and information...
  but software is not in fact any of those other things."
Bruce Sterling - The Hacker Crackdown

Fred A. Kulack - IBM eServer iSeries - Enterprise Application Solutions
ERP, Java DB2 access, Jdbc, JTA, etc...
IBM in Rochester, MN  (Phone: 507.253.5982   T/L 553-5982)
mailto:kulack/us.ibm.com   Personal: mailto:kulack/magnaspeed.net
AIM Home:FKulack  AIM Work:FKulackWrk
MSN Work: fakulack/hotmail.com (replace email / with @)