From: Eric Kempter [mailto:EKempter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 1:32 PM
To: JAVA400-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: sendmail

Newbie question ahead.
I have successfully  implemented JavaMail on our IBM V5R2 iseries (I5/OS).
The JavaMail class uses sendmail to send email but I noticed that there is
no argument for cc or bcc.  I assume that sendmail is a class and contained
in a package.  My question is, how do I determine what (other) arguments
sendmail will accept?  How do I determine what package sendmail is included
in?  The following is the JavaMail source.  Thanks in advance for any
assistance.

****************
        Date       : 11/02/2001
        Programmer : James Zhang
        Desc       : Practice the javamail.
****************/
import java.util.Properties;
import javax.mail.*;
import javax.mail.internet.*;
import java.io.*;

public class JavaMailMIME {
  public static void main (String args[]) throws Exception {

    String from     = args[0];
    String to       = args[1];
    String replyTo  = args[2];
    String subject  = args[3];
    String text     = args[4];
        short returnCode = 0;
        try{
                returnCode = sendMail(from,to,replyTo,subject,text);
        }catch(Exception e){
                e.printStackTrace();

  public static short sendMail (String from, String to, String replyTo,
                                String subject,String text) throws Exception
{
        try{
                //get the properties
                FileInputStream emailPropertyFile;
                //get the properties
                Properties emailProperty = new Properties();
                try{
                        emailPropertyFile = new
FileInputStream("JavaMail.properties");
                }catch(FileNotFoundException e){
                        //JZEmail.properties not found
                        return 100;
                }
                emailProperty.load(emailPropertyFile);
                emailPropertyFile.close();

                //String host = "SMTP.RICAINS.COM";
                String hostName =
emailProperty.getProperty("email.hostname");
                String hostType =
emailProperty.getProperty("email.hosttype");

        // Get system properties
        Properties systemProperty = System.getProperties();

        // Setup mail server
        systemProperty.put(hostType, hostName);

        // Get session
        Session session = Session.getDefaultInstance(systemProperty, null);
                //Session session = Session.getInstance(systemProperty,
null);

        // Define message
        MimeMessage message = new MimeMessage(session);

                // Set the from address
                message.setFrom(new InternetAddress(from));

                // Set the to address
                message.addRecipient(Message.RecipientType.TO, new
InternetAddress(to));

                // Set the subject
                message.setSubject(subject);

                // Set the content
                message.setContent(text, "text/html");

                // Set the reply to
                replyTo = replyTo.trim();
                if(replyTo != null && !replyTo.equals("")){
                        InternetAddress ReplyTo[] = new InternetAddress[1];

                        ReplyTo[0] = new InternetAddress(replyTo);
                        message.setReplyTo(ReplyTo);
                }

                // Send message
                Transport.send(message);

        }catch(MessagingException me){
                // search for the real exception that caused the problem
                Exception realException = me;
                while ( (realException instanceof MessagingException) &&

((MessagingException)realException).getNextException() != null) {
                                realException =
((MessagingException)realException).getNextException();
                }

                // map the exceptions to error codes
                if (realException instanceof javax.mail.MessagingException)
                        return 101;
                else if (realException instanceof java.net.ConnectException)

                        return 102;
                else if (realException instanceof
java.net.UnknownHostException)
                        return 103;