    Hi Csaba,

    The responders so far have given you the two ways to "catch" live
database changes.  I understand that you said "Doing this work with triggers
is unacceptable", for reasons we don't quite understand, but either triggers
or invoking from the journal should give acceptable results; far better than
polling.  The primary concern is to have them do as little work as possible.

    We have some apps that use triggers, including watching for inserts,
without problems.  OTOH, I'm aware of a group that used triggers extensively
and managed to kill throughput because they tried to do so much with them.
The triggers were in RPG, so there was no language issue.

> Unfortunatelly, the traditional host languages, like
> COBOL, RPB is difficult to start learning.

    RPB on the '400 is especially difficult.    ;-P   That's a joke, in case
no one got it.

    Seriously, if you have no "traditional" programmers on staff, you should
be able to find someone to do it for you.  Certainly there are people
available on this list who could do it easily.  Polling ( in almost all
cases ) is the least attractive and most resource consumptive choice.

                                                  Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO         -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?             http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400