Hi Paul,

thanks for the flowers. just wondering, that you statements don't get more
excitement....

<snip>
> blue....  My thoughts on the RPG versus Java and SQL discussions....

In my opinion this are three very diffrent things

RPG: de facto standard for application development on as400 and nowhere else.
Java: de facto standard for open source components to develop applications
SQL: defacto standard for database access

My one and only topic in this debate is: make it simple and if you add
complexity, you must have a benefit. If you use RPG, normaly you don't need
java, if you use java, you won't need rpg (in the same application); mixing
it up, you must have a benefit and my opinion here did not change, this only
might happen, if you really have rpg components ready for plug in to your
java application.

> #1  Object Orientation (OO)

<snip>
>  Analized
> deeeply, most software development is the same behavior with differnt
> databases,  develop a framework that allows generic treatment of these
> common tasks and we'd have it made.  The challenge for AS400 programming
> shops is getting the skill and experience to develop their reusabable
> component infrastructure.  Discussing this very problem, a knowledgeable OO
> co-worker told me, "The problem with this OO stuff, is that people don't
> even realize how powerful it is until they've worked with it for 2 or 3
> years."  The light at the end of the tunnel is that components and
> frameworks are emerging that lessens the need for the new Java programmer
> to understand OO design.

I would totally agree with your statement here ant that is one of the problems
I see with a mixed up approach. Writing the business logiic in a procedural
language prevents from the usage of most of these Frameworks and it slows
down the process of the programmers migration from procedurel to OO in most
cases.

> #2  Platform independence   (Portability)

<snip>

> exactly the same regardless of the Database!  People often argue that this
> portability comes at the cost of not taking advantages of unique platform
> capabilities; the truth is that platform optimization can still take place

There is no need to change the platform to run an application, but the
possibility to do so, makes the hardware cheaper to you and forces the
producer of the hardware to speed up his JVM and his SQL engine to stay
competetive.

<snip>
> *  For reasons not 100% clear to me.. the AS/400 Java performance seems to
> stink.  I've had and helped 3 clients move their apps to Windows and see
> the performance improve dramatically.  My understanding of why is:  a)  The
> AS400 JVM goes through an extra step of "byte code verification"  for
> security reasons   b)  in terms of processor speed and RAM, Java is very
> speed and RAM hungry,  I've watched while a "desktop Windows" running at 3
> GHZ with 2GB of RAM runs circles around a decent size AS400.  Rochester,
> better circle the wagons here..  Bad story and I know you are working on
> it..

I tend to b) . Java applications have the complete runtime only once in the
JVM and the classes are very small, that's very diffrent to ILE applications,
having the runtime in every program. Today its no problem to make the
complete JVM and the complete application resident in memory and at this
point only processor speed limits the speed of the application server. The
cheaper the memory is and the highre the GHZ, the better.

My advice?

think about it and makeup the strategy of your own!

Dieter Bender

mfG

Dieter Bender

DV-Beratung Dieter Bender