> From: Dieter Bender
>
> What you are doing, looks a lot like EJBs of your own. Your DTAQ
Server
> programm is in fact a rpg implementation of a statefull session bean,
why
> don't you like beans?

Actually, EJB session beans are a Java implementation of standard job
sessions which have been around for thirty years.  I don't like to use
beans to do something that's already available natively on the machine.
I choose not to sacrifice performance for portability.

But I really don't have as much of a beef with session beans.  I think
they're unnecessary given the architecture I've outlined, but they're
also pretty easy to implement and usually don't add too much overhead
(unless you're try to serialize large RowSets or something equally as
poorly designed).  It's entity beans that I can't stand.  CMP introduces
so much bloat it's not funny, while BMP basically requires you to write
your own logic anyway, so I'd rather simply make lightweight transport
beans that communicate with an RPG server.

> I would prefer for my own the standard ways and I am thinking for most
> programmers it would be more easy to use those standard components
> compared to writing their own application container.

But that's because your primary goal is to have your software run
without modification on multiple operating systems.  Your customers pay
the price in performance.

> Or maybe the as400 should support CORBA, I don't know.

What does CORBA have to do with anything?  As far as I'm concerned,
CORBA is just another bloated convention.

> Why don't you provide some kind of Open Source Framework for the
> integration
> of rpg components in java applications? Doing it this way, even me
could
> recommend the use of this for the reuse of rpg components. Maybe I
should
> write an article "Reuse of rpg components in java - but do it the
right
> way"
> for german "midrange magazin" and of course I would make the code of
the
> examples open source.

Feel free to do so, Dieter.  And maybe I'll write one for MCMagOnline.

> Last but on this thread: most rpg applications I've seen are rather
> monolithic
> and don't have too much reusable components, but I don't have seen a l
> applications.

You haven't seen many ILE service programs then, Dieter.  ILE allows you
to write beautiful RPG code that is as modular and powerful as any other
linked language.  RPG may not have the OO features of Java, but it's at
least as powerful as C, in my mind, especially because of the powerful
integrated database functions.

Joe