> From: eiichi.yoshihira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>             FileInputStream fin = new FileInputStream(args[0]);
>             InputStreamReader isr = new InputStreamReader(fin,
"Cp930");
>             FileOutputStream fout = new
> FileOutputStream(args[0]+".SJIS");
>             OutputStreamWriter osw = new OutputStreamWriter(fout,
> "SJIS");

This is fine for files, but I'm having trouble implementing it in a web
application.  In my web-app, I have a byte array of EBCDIC data that I
need to output to the browser.

The meta-tags are already set up for Shift-JIS, so the question is, how
can I actually write Shift-JIS to the output stream?

I can do this:

String s = new String(b, "Cp930");

Okay, now I have a Unicode string representing the correct Katakana.
Now, how do I get those that Unicode data into a Shift-JIS String to
output?  When I try to just write the String (using <%= s %>), I just
get question marks.

Do I have to now convert to SJIS bytes and then back to a String?

byte[] b = s.getBytes("SJIS");
s = new String(b);   // Default encoding

Is this what I need?

(ANSWERING MY OWN QUESTION: YES!!!!)

I have an output field that just gave me the following error:

合言葉を入力して下さい。

PSC/400 is now DBCS enabled.  How totally cool.

Joe