Chris,

Are you aware that Word has a built-in compare facility to compare two
documents?  It works pretty well.  If you agree, you could just store the
Docs as binary in CVS and pull out the revisions you want to compare and
use Word's compare option.

Merant's Version Manager has some built in support for adding version
control within Office, in addition to everything else.  It is not too
expensive, I think you can get it for around $500-600 per seat.

I have been pleasantly surprised with Word's compare option whenever I have
needed it.

Mark