Folks:

I've got an application accessing DB2-400 via JDBC ...  We're observing some
rather significant delays when we start multiple database transaction sets.

I'm cross-posting this to MIDRANGE-L and JAVA400-L because I think it has as
much to do with DB2 as it does JDBC.

Here's the situation ... our application requests a jdbc connection to do
one set of updates on the database (insert & update functions).operations.
While that connection is open, our application calls another routine that
requests another connection, thus creating another transaction.
Periodically there is a 30+ second delay for the 2nd connection to establish
the commitment control environment.

I've dumped the journal entries and observed the following pattern ...

T 0:00 -- Routine 1 requests a connection and starts an update  ... journal
shows a "C/SC" (code / type) on job 10.
T 0:00 -- Routine 1 inserts a record, journal shows a "R/PX" to table A on
job 10.
T 0:01 -- Routine 1 calls routine 2
T 0:36 -- Routine 2 requests a connection and starts an update ... journal
shows a "C/SC" on job 9.
T 0:36 -- Routine 2 updates a record, journal shows a "R/UB" and "R/UP" to
table B on job 9
T 0:36 -- Routine 2 inserts a record, journal shows a "P/PT" to table C on
job 9
T 0:37 -- Routine 3 commits, journal shows a "C/CM" on job 9

... notice the delay before the commitment control environment is started at
T 0:36?

This is on V5R2, a pretty decent machine (4 way, I think).  There are a lot
of other applications doing jdbc data access and they are not encountering
this problem.  There is only 1 user doing transactions on this application
(java based, running in a weblogic server on a NT machine, connecting with
JTOpen 4.0) ... we have 10 connections allocated to the connection pool
(weblogic managed) with 10 additional allocated when it needs more.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

david

--