Hi Suresh,

On Thursday 24 April 2003 00:54, you wrote:
> Hi All,
>   We are developing a webproduct with the servlets running on PC server
> under a web app server accessing all the data from AS400 DB2 (V5R1). We use
> JT400 as the AS400 driver. Also note that all our applications are
> developed in Java with heavy usage of SQL and prepared statements.
>
>   We see that QZDASOINT jobs running in QSERVER basically serves the web
> requests. We also noted that several instances of this job runs based on
> threshhold values etc..

That's one of the points to use Connection Pooling. In this case, you'll have
as many Jobs (= connections) as you've configured for the pool.

> Now, when we look at open ODPs of some of these
> jobs, there are several (40-50) ODPs open and ODPs of the same file (PF/LF)
> also exist several times within the same job.

Thats an issue of caching. There are diffrent caching mechanism. The driver
caches, extended dynamic (you should use this driver propertie) caches, the
pool caches preparedStatements (if it could) and the SQL engine cachs.

> This probably is contributing
> to the slowness

making some load tests, 1000 connections with tenthousends of ODPs, didn't
cause any problem. Normally caching majkes it faster.

> and also when several users use this app it might crash
> because of opening of too many ODPs.

Thats one of the tasks of a good connection pool implementation. The pool
closes the Connection (= frees all ressources) and reopens another.

>   Another observation is that files are getting locked out and this makes
> other servlets hang trying to access that file.

If you don't use isolation level serializable, a file lock, caused by a SQL
ODP can't bring another SQL access to a wait.
What do you mean exactly with makes other jobs hanging???  this seems to be
the problem, you are searching since some weeks!!!
I would recommend to have a look, if there are any record locks to this
tables and I would have a look to the JVM of the java Client job, if there
might be a loop condition.
Further on I would have a look to the QZDASOINIT Jobs, what thea are
currently doing, just wait? using CPU?, sitting in an error Condition?

--
mfG

Dieter Bender

DV-Beratung Dieter Bender