Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:53:16 -0600
From: Todd Bryant <tbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
[ Add to Address Book | Block Address | Report as Spam ]
To: 'larryhytail@xxxxxxxxx' <larryhytail@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Servlet and text/plain

Hi Larry, we are having problems with our DNS, so I cannot post to the list
as it thinks it is coming from another address than I signed up with.

Anyway, the answer to your problem is to set the Content-Disposition header.
Here is an example:

<% response.setHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment"); %>

This is in its simplest form. You can also specify the name of the file you
want the o/s to use by default for the saved file and provide the file size,
among other things. I believe the file size just allows windows to calculate
the download time remaining for very large files. Example:

<% response.setHeader("Content-Disposition",
     "attachment; filename=myFile.txt; size=1234"); %>

Here is the rfc on the content-disposition header
http://www.mhonarc.org/~ehood/MIME/rfc2183.txt

If you would be so kind, could you post this to the list for others who may
find this information useful? Thanks.

Todd Bryant, SCJP
Programmer/Analyst
University of Nebraska Foundation