Hi,
I have yet to do any JSP stuff so I've got a few (possibly dumb) questions.

If we wish to lever our existing RPGLE developers what is the preferred way of
calling RPGLE pgms from JSP?
Also, I've read that treating an RPGLE pgm as a stored procedure which can be
invoked via JDBC can be a good way of avoiding JDBC overheads if a lot of
database IO is involved in servicing a request.

I would also like to know if there are issues with calling an RPGLE that writes
to stdout.
I figure that JSP runs in a container that takes care of populating stdout but
is it possible to call an existing CGI type pgm that writes directly to stdout
in conjunction with the output from JSP?

Since we would be running Tomcat on an Apache server I'm not clear on the "in
process" , "out of process" thing.
I figure that we can configure the Apache server to support our existing CGI
requests, (net.data or otherwise)  and also JSP requests.
When a JSP request arrives I gather that Apache just passes it to Tomcat which
I believe is actually an HTTP server in itself.
Does "in process" mean that Apache fires up another thread (which is visible as
another job within the server instance) in which it launches Tomcat?
Does "out of process" mean that a whole new HTTP server is raised (visible as
another server job) to run Tomcat and the Apache server waits for it to
complete the request?

Does profile swapping occur just as it does with the IBM Original HTTP server
and is the swapped profile apparent within an RPGLE pgm that is called via JSP?

Lastly, some of our web development embraces a "roll your own" SOAP whereby the
all http requests are constructed as an XML document via script and sent via
ActiveX control to a generic CGI program that parses it and constructs an XML
response. I can't see how it makes sense to attempt to retain this same
approach but still use JSP?

Peter

This communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. If it is not
addressed to you, you are on notice of its status. Please immediately contact
us at our cost and destroy it. Please do not use, disclose, copy, distribute or
retain any of it without our authority - to do so could be a breach of
confidence. Thank you for your co-operation. If you need assistance, please
contact Baycorp Advantage on either :-
Australia 133124 or New Zealand +64 9 356 5800

All addresses for personnel are in the format of
'firstname.lastname@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' and any service addresses will be
based on the format in these examples :-

assistonline.nz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
collections.nz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
customerservice.nz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sales.nz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
communications.nz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
businessdata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
invest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
marketingsolutions@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jobs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please update your contact details accordingly.

Thank-You!