> From: Suresh kumar BV
>
>   2. The web server is remotely accessing AS400. What I mean is that they
> are physically apart and hence the request comes thru internet from web
> server to AS400.

How fast is this connection?  This is a VERY unusual configuration, and I
can immediately see several places where you might have problems.  When you
mentioned "simulating" this architecture with Oracle, you didn't mention
anything about the Internet.  Is your Oracle database separated from the web
server by an Internet connection as well?

>   8. We noticed one strange thing: when we run this task AS400 seems to
> start tremendous # of jobs to provide this service. I have pasted
> the AS400
> log here. I feel that this will definitely slow it down considerably. No
> job log nothing else to go forward. What is the reason for this behaviour?
>

>  Job 918258/QUSER/QZSOSIGN started on 02/15/03 at 18:07:43 in subsystem
> QSYSW
> *SIGNON server job 918258/QUSER/QZSOSIGN processing request for
> user ACSINC

Please post your code.  It looks to me as if you are creating multiple
connections to the AS/400.  This will perform poorly, especially over the
Internet.

As to PTFs missing, yes you are missing PTFs.  Do you regularly apply
cumulative and group PTFs to your machine?  If you don't understand that
question, then you need to talk to your iSeries administrator.  PTFs on the
iSeries are like OS upgrades on any machine - you should apply them
regularly.

Finally, I highly suggest you do what I recommended in my earlier post,
which is to separate the database logic out of your servlet and run it
directly from the PC in a standalone program.  Then you can trace the code
and see where the execution lags are.

Joe