Thank you to the several people who replied to my question. That was all
very helpful. Joe, I had seen a similar article
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-12-2000/jw-1229-traps.html but I was
under the impression that this would not apply because I was trying to
redirect stdout to a file.

I did not end up using this technique because it still did not get my
particularly ugly scenario to work, but it was helpful in getting simpler
commands to work. My real scenario is that the program getting run via
runtime.exec() is really a shell script with a bunch of other stuff in it
and then it eventually runs another java program. The whole thing produces
tons of stdout messages. In testing, even with the stdout-gobbling code,
that second-layer-deep java program just seems to die with "java: 001-0070
Exception JVAB544 not expected" written to stdout (maybe stderr).

I have two followups, if I may:

1 - stdout redirected to a file from Qshell appears to be in EBCDIC, ie. it
creates a file of Cp037 with EBCDIC data in it. Is there any way to make
this ASCII, or would I have to write a "pipe" program to convert the data?

2 - I cannot find the JVAB544 error on the web. One hit about RAWT but that
should not be applicable here. A couple hits on IBM APARs repaired in V4R3.
Nothing that really tells what that error means, beyond "unexpected." Any
ideas what this is? Could it be from trying to start another JVM from inside
another JVM doing runtime.exec()?

By the way, I worked around this problem by sending a qshell "system"
command into runtime.exec() and then have it do a SBMJOB of ANOTHER QSH that
runs my script and redirects the script output to a file. This incredibly
convoluted setup makes it work, but I can't believe this is the best way to
go about it.

Thanks again,
-Marty