We have a serveral databases from which we build HTML pages using Net.Data
and IBM HTTP Server (original). Each entry in that database can have an
index entry which points to a TIF file in an IFS directory on the system.

In a regular HTML page, we would display a URL to that TIF image and the
user would click the link to get to the image.

That's not what we want to happen.  We want the user to get to the image if:
1) they're logged in (this is already working), and 2) their access level
(recorded in a user record) allows them access to that TIF image.  No one
should ever be able to key in a URL and pull the image.  All accesses to the
image must be thru some mechanism on the page, and be recorded (other
accesses are already being recorded).

How do we go about controlling access to the TIF images?  Is Java the right
way to go about it?  Can I imbed Java in an HTML/JavaScript page?  If
imbedded Java is the right and proper way, does that mean we should be
looking at running the website using the Apache server?