I've never configured or used JavaMail on iSeries, but this (somewhat
dated) page talks a bit about it:

http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/developer/java/topics/javamail.html

What version of JavaMail are you running?  (latest is 1.3, IIRC)

Does running the application "verbosely"  -- i.e. OPTION(*VERBOSE) in CL,
or "-verbose" from QShell -- show javax.mail.Transport et al. being loaded
from your expected mail.jar?  (Just wondering if something might've snuck
into the classpath...)

What does the stack trace for your exception in java.mail.Transport.send0()
look like?  (I don't have source for JavaMail API, like you, but if I did
I'd look at the line numbers in the stack trace and see what the code is
doing at those points.  At least there's a chance that I could find out
*what* is null, and maybe even how it got there.)

Oh, and the obvious question; does the new V4R5 production system have Java
installed?  (GO LICPGM, option 10, and look for a few 5769JV1 entries.)

Just a few random thoughts...  HTH.

-blair

On Monday, 01/27/2003 at 07:23 AST, jamesl@hb.quik.com wrote:
> I've got the strangest problem with some Java code that uses JavaMail to
> access
> an external (NT) mail server (without authentication). On our old
> production
> system (V4R4), with a SOCKS proxy between it and the mail server,
> the code
> works fine. But if I run the exact same CLASS file, with the exact
> same
> "mail.jar" and "activation.jar," on our new production box (V4R5), it
> gets a
> null pointer exception in the javax/mail/Transport.send0 method.
> Looking at the
> source code for the Transport class (downloaded from Sun)
> hasn't given me any
> ideas, except to tell me that "send0" is a private
> method that is called from
> "send," and does all the "dirty work"
> thereof.

-blair

Blair Wyman -- iSeries JVM -- (507) 253-2891
"It is a sobering thought that when Mozart was my age,
he had been dead for two years." -- Tom Lehrer