What are you sharing this connection with? Using JNDI is great
if you have two components that don't know about each other,
but there is a lot of overhead involved. You might consider
creating your own cache for connections and putting a reference
to them into a static locator. You can wrap that around your
initial context if necessary to give you the best of both worlds.
If I were to guess, I would say in your second example you used
the wrong name in your lookup.

David Morris

>>> apinsky@aeropostale.com 12/13/02 10:30AM >>>
Hi,
I'm trying to configure Tomcat to use UDBDConnectionPoolDataSource as
statement pooled connection factory and can't get JNDI to work.
Before run it under Tomcat I want to make sure that JNDI portion of the
code would work. The code is:

import java.sql.*;
import javax.naming.*;
import java.util.*;
import com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.UDBDataSource;

public class UDBDataSourceExample1
{
    public static void main(java.lang.String[] args)
    throws Exception
    {
        UDBDataSource ds = new UDBDataSource();
        ds.setDescription("Basic DataSource");
        System.out.println("dataSource created");

        Context ctx = new InitialContext();

        ctx.rebind("BaseDataSource", ds);

Error message when trying to rebind:
javax.naming.NoInitialContextException:
Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an
applet parameter, or in an application resource file:
java.naming.factory.initial

and if I'm running the same code with initial context set as:

import java.sql.*;
import javax.naming.*;
import java.util.*;
import com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.UDBDataSource;
public class UDBDataSourceExample1
{
    public static void main(java.lang.String[] args)
    throws Exception
    {
        UDBDataSource ds = new UDBDataSource();
        ds.setDescription("Basic DataSource");
        System.out.println("dataSource created");
        Hashtable env = new Hashtable();
                "com.sun.jndi.fscontext.RefFSContextFactory");
        env.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL, "file:/jdbc/DataSources");
        System.out.println("envelope created");

        // Establish a JNDI context.
        Context ctx = new InitialContext(env);
        System.out.println("Context created");
        ctx.rebind("BaseDataSource", ds);
javax.naming.NameNotFoundException; remaining name
'"/jdbc/DataSources"'
      java/lang/Throwable.<init>()V+4 (Throwable.java:78)
      java/lang/Exception.<init>()V+1 (Exception.java:29)
      javax/naming/NamingException.<init>()V+1
(NamingException.java:112)
      javax/naming/NameNotFoundException.<init>()V+1
(NameNotFoundException.java 44...

We are running V5R1 with all latest PTF installed and I run second
example with fscontext.jar included in class path