Mark,

Tomcat has an embedded HTTP server that can serve static content. I
have load tested one of our sites running on NT with and without Apache

and without was faster. In that case we had all dynamic content mixed
with static images and style sheets -- around 80% dynamic.

If you have to use Apache, Henri Gomez wrote a port of mod_jk a while
back. I haven't used it myself, but I have heard that it works well. I
don't
have access to the URL he sent to download it but I can post it when I
get
home.

The JNDI security realm that comes with Tomcat changed between the
3.x and 4.0.x versions so that it did not work out of the box against
our
LDAP server. The 4.1.x version fixes that and appears to work in
testing.
We had to write the LDAP validation (modify actually) for version 4.0.x

but it appears that we can use the new 4.1.12 version without
modification.
We validate to a Novell LDAP server and set the effective user profile
for
the thread in the appropriate exit programs.

David Morris

>>> MarkP@softlanding.com 11/08/02 06:58AM >>>
David,

When you download and install Tomcat from the Apache group can it
still
"plugin" to the Apache HTTP server the way the one that IBM ships does?
If
not, then how would you handle a web site that had some static content
or
CGI/Net.Data that required the Apache server?

Does Tomcat have any built-in ability to validate against AS/400 user
profiles, as WebSphere does?  If not, and it can plug in to Apache, I
wonder if that protection could be applied by Apache?  Did you have to
write the LDAP validation or just configure it?

Thanks

Mark