Hi,

I don't want to raise a flame about whether or not iSeries is a good server
(in general and for Java in particular), because it is more reliable,
scalable, maintainable, blah blah blah... despite the fact it is slower and
much more expensive. I do know there are good reasons why people do use
AS/400, but this is not the question I want to discuss.

I just have told one true story and I can just tell another one if anyone
want to listen.

There were same two machines involved, one is EUR 35K model 270 and next to
it is EUR 1,4K dual Pentium III 733MHz Dell PC with RAID-5 disks.
I'll leave price math to those who cares. :)

Our system is sort of realtime warehouse execution system, that is - there
are many (hundreds) of users. Thus no one dares to say it's single-user
application. :)
Users are wearing portable terminals which go to our system through TCP/IP
to request or to submit information. Our application is sort of
request-response network server with database backend. For simplicity's
sake, you can think about is as special case of Apache/CGI. The application
itself is rather small; JAR with all the libraries it uses is just 1MB in
size. Note that unlike previous case, it is not J2EE, but just plain Java
application.

The simulation was not just a stupid stress load test but very thorough - it
almost 100% resembles actual user workflow.

In first setup, AS/400 was running both database and Java application (with
level 20 optimization).
It took 15 simulated users to go to 100% processor load at AS/400.

In second setup, AS/400 was holding just a database while Java application
was running at PC.
100 users created 10% processor load on PC and 60% processor load on AS/400
mostly at the expense of database jobs.
No changes were done in code, configuration, database schema, etc. etc.
apart from moving Java application to another machine.

So, basically, it is obvious that not the database what creates 100% load at
AS/400 but Java application.

Regards,
Timur