This is really a C question; I sent it to the C400-L too but decided to copy
here too: Java-L seems to be more active and it's not a totally "foreign"
issue:

I'm trying to write a C stored procedure that would return an array result
set, but precompiler generates the following message:

SQL5011  30      19  Position 32 Host structure array AOW not defined or not
usable

for the statement

EXEC SQL
   set result sets array :AOW for 20 rows;

Host structure AOW is defined like this:

_Packed struct { char AOWL1[2];
                     char AOWL2;
                 } AOW[20];

Actually I found out the precompiler does not allow any of the structure
members to be arrays. The question is how in that case to return any
character strings to the caller. Or do I have to code it in to RPG?

Lo