Joe,

IBM has several products that are based on Eclipse 1.0 like
WebSphere Development Studio client (WDSc). For RPG/Java/iSeries
work you need to have V4R5 to use that product and it provides a
decent IDE. For Java I generally use the base Eclipse 2.0.1
product with a few plugins added.

I am guessing that you like the repository and debugger in VA/Java.
Eclipse 2.01 with the 1.4.1RC JDK provides similar debugging
capabilities to VAJ. You need the 1.4.1 JDK (1.4.0 is buggy) to
be able to reload a class changed in debug and continue. Eclipse
lets you look for a type etc, but is a little slower than VAJ. The
tradeoff is that it starts much more quickly. You can also scan
for file data, which is a bonus.

To mimic the team repository features, you need a source
management system. Eclipse comes with built in support for
CVS. Here is a link to an article that has some CVS and WDSc
info that may help you get started:

http://www.midrangeserver.com/tfh/tfh082202-story01.html

David Morris

>>> joepluta@PlutaBrothers.com 09/18/02 09:35PM >>>
> From: Jon Paris
>
> >From what we were told in the Lab this week Joe the latest version
of
> Eclipse has many of the "missing" features.  Have you checked the
Eclipse
> site to check the features of V2?

No, Jon, which is why I haven't been ranting as much as I normally do
<grin>.  I've been waiting for this latest release to see what's what.
Does
the new release require V5R1 or V5R2?

Joe