Java itself always operates in Unicode for Strings or chars.  How are
you accessing the FlexLM service?  Is this done over a socket
InputStream/OutputStream.  If so, these operate over a series of bytes.
At some point, that series of bytes is converted to/from a String and
this is where the problem occurs.  The conversion usually happens with
either a
  new String(bytearray)
or
  bytearray = myString.getBytes()

In either case, the platform default encoding is used, which is EBCDIC
on the iSeries and zSeries and ASCII almost everywhere else.  You can
overide this by changing these calls to

  new String(bytearray, "US-ASCII")

or
  bytearray = myString.getBytes("US-ASCII")

This works if you have the source for the code that is converting the
byte array to the String or vice-versa.  Otherwise, you'll have to
contact the vendor and tell them not to be making assumptions about the
platform default encoding in such cases.

If you have specific info and further questions, I'd be glad to help
out.

Gary