Patrick, thanks now I understand your question better... .forward( ) and
SendRedirect are mostly interchangeable, but my suggestion to change the .
forward( ) to a SendRedirect( ) was intended only for the flow where the
user just now authenticated on the current request, and then was forwarded
to the controller.servlet, not just any .forward( ) vs. SendRedirect, sorry
I was not clear on that.

Here is what I think is happening which tries to explain why sometimes it
works and sometimes it does not.
1) user authenticates.  WebSphere does a "Set-Cookie xxxxx" for the
response to set the authenication information, but these authentication
cookies are not yet fully set as request Cookies yet.  That wont happen
until the response is sent back to the client (browser), which re-issues a
requests containing the already set cookies with authentication values.
2) when user authenticates in step 1, the HTTP session maintained by
WebSphere is now protected, and accessible only by the authenticated user
3) if a .forward( ) is issued to the controller.servlet, it tries to access
the protected HTTP session.  But the authentication check of the current
user fails.  Why? Because the request cookies are checked and there are no
authentication values set there yet.  The controller.servlet still gets a
session under the covers, but a new one that has been cleared.
4) if a SendRedirect is issued instead to controller.servlet, then the
request now has authentication cookies sent from the browser.  As a result,
the controller.servlet's access to the HTTP session is allowed, and it all
works.
5) This is why I was persistent in asking about the working scenario, where
jsp1 accessed the controller.servlet.  Since jsp1 rendered a page to the
client (browser), the submit flow to the controller.servlet meant a re-
issued request was sent thereby setting the authentication cookies properly
as part of the request, which allowed it to work.

|         |           "Patrick         |
|         |           Goovaerts"       |
|         |           <pgoovaerts@pando|
|         |           ra.be>           |
|         |           Sent by: java400-|
|         |           l-admin@midrange.|
|         |           com              |
|         |           08/07/02 12:02 PM|
|         |           java400-l        |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       <java400-l@midrange.com>
                                          |
  |       cc:
                                          |
  |       Subject:  RE: HttpSession - problem
                                          |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Art,

Jsp1 invokes the controller.servlet by using a form 'submit', triggered
by a button.  Here's the code:

JSP1:
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"
src="/FreightQuotations/javascript/openWindows.js"></SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript"
src="/FreightQuotations/javascript/actions.js"></SCRIPT>
<FORM name="FormFQ" action="FQController" method=POST onSubmit="return
testaction(action)">
<INPUT type=hidden name="screen" value="S1">
<INPUT type=hidden name="action" value="">
<INPUT type="button" style="font-size: 10px" tabindex="5" name="bList"
value=" List " onClick="setaction(this.form, this)">

JAVASCRIPT ACTIONS.JS
function testaction(paction)
{
   if (paction.value == "")
   {
      alert("Please select an action-button below");
      return false;
   }
   return true;
}

function setaction(form, button)
{
   // if (button.name == "bList")    {form.action.value = " List "}
   // if (button.name == "bAdd")     {form.action.value = "Create"}
   // if (button.name == "bDelete")  {form.action.value = "Delete"}
   // if (button.name == "bUpdate")  {form.action.value = "Update"}
   // if (button.name == "bConfirm") {form.action.value = "Confirm"}
   // if (button.name == "bCopy")    {form.action.value = " Copy "}
   form.action.value = button.value;
   form.submit();
}

If course I do not ask you "how to change the . forward( ) to a
sendRedirect( )" !
What I want to know is how to decide
- when to use .forward()
- when to use .sendRedirect()
I can't imagine that one has to code .forward(), test it and when it
doesn't work, change his code to .sendRedirect()

As explained in previous mail, one of the reasons was a security issue
while another reason was that the 2 (hidden)fields, used in JSP1 doesn't
exist when launching controller.servlet directly.

Patrick Goovaerts
pgoovaerts@pandora.be
TEL: 0032-3-6472715
GSM:0498610325