SELECT AFIELD1,AFIELD2,BFIELD1,CASE BFIELD2 is null THEN '' ELSE BFIELD2
END
Should work.

Royce Stearns
Manage, Inc.
(503) 353-1721 x103
www.manageinc.com

                      Keith_McCully@wund
                      erman.co.uk               To:       java400-l@midrange.com
                      Sent by:                  cc:
                      java400-l-admin@mi        Subject:  ResultSet null column
                      drange.com

                      07/31/2002 05:18
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      java400-l

I have built a prepared statement that links data from 2 DB2/400 tables.
Left
join is used because there will not always be a key matched row in table B
but I
would always expect 1 row from table A.

PreparedStatement stmt1 = connection.prepareStatement("SELECT AFIELD1,
AFIELD2,
BFIELD1, BFIELD2
     FROM A LEFT JOIN B ON AFIELD1 = BFIELD1 WHERE AFIELD1 = ?")

After I do a stmt1.executeQuery() into a ResultSet (rs) and then extract
BFIELD2
as
     String FIELDX = rs.getString("BFIELD2").trim()
If a matched row in file B exists when I load FIELDX, then everything works
fine
but ,if not ,then I get a NullPointerException.

I tried testing rs.getString for null prior to FIELDX load but no success.
Any
comments and suggestions on how to check for null would be very welcome!

Thanks,

Keith