David Gibbs wrote:
. . .
> Strictly speaking, your RPG program should have a single program that
> listens to the port (I call it a monitor) and, when it receives a
> connection, it should hand the connection off to another program (a
> daemon).  The daemon's should be self replicating (when one is consumed,
> another should be spawned).
. . .

Our products use a 3-stage server: the standby-server does nothing but
accept connections and launch (and hand off to) the next stage, the
verification-server, which accepts the signon from the client, verifies
the password, and launches the real workhorse (we call it a
child-server), under the user's own profile, and hands the socket off to it.

I could tell you more about the internal workings of our client-server
products, but if I did that, then I'd have to kill you.

--
James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Help America's Passenger Trains. http://www.saveamtrak.org