We built/tested it on our machine, a 820 FC 2395, CPW is 35 Interactive and
370 in batch, DASD Utilization is about 35%.  We have also tried it on a
couple customer machines, I'll try and get those numbers, but the results
were more or less the same.

JDK version is 1.3.1, toolbox is whatever version is shipped with VAN 3.5.3.

The application does allot of things, basically I will load a JList from a
customer DB2 file on the as400, then based on who was select do a key lookup
with KeyedFile, maybe to 1 or more files depending on the situation.

>From my experience it will take 3 or 4 seconds to do a KeyedFile type chain,
and exponentially longer to read a set of records.

I have also noticed that a program call has much faster access than a
records access, for example.

    if I have key1 for file1, if I open a KeyedFile and position based on
key1 it will
    take a 2 or 3 seconds,

but

    if I write an rpg pgm that accepts a key, then uses than key to do a rpg
chain and
    return a field it works almost instantaneously

Both methods above use the same key to access the same record, the program
call has the extra step of a rpg program in the middle but yet it runs
noticeably faster.

The program call method works well if I want to take a customer number and
lookup a customer name, but when I need to read a dynamic record set the pgm
method.

I guess this leads to me answering the question of what I expect, I expected
a response time closer to the pgm call speed rather than the RLA speeds.

Hope I provided the answers you were looking for,
Robert