Thanks, Jim!

When I wrote my response, I hadn't seen yours yet...  You hit the nail on
the head:
>It IS efficient because internally TCP support opens
>pipes between the applications, not true TCP socket
>connections ...

Fascinating that you were able to see the "local sockets" optimization,
albeit only as the result of an error.  :-/  (I trust the error was treated
as a bug, and fixed?)

Thanks, again.

-blair

Blair Wyman -- iSeries JVM -- (507) 253-2891
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I was born not knowing, and have had only a
little time to change that here and there."   -- Richard P. Feynman

                      Jim Mason
                      <jmason900@yahoo.        To:       java400-l@midrange.com
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: Communication
between JVM's
                      java400-l-admin@m
                      idrange.com

                      04/23/2002 10:14
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      java400-l

Hi Blair.

Running an IBM app ( WebFacing) on the same machine as
WebSphere they communicate using standard sockets.
When the app runs it was automatically optimized to
open memory pipes instead.  How do I know?  The apps
broke and the information was readily available in the
log files ...

Jim Mason