I work for a consulting firm that has for years done RPG & AS/400
consulting.  Our experience over the last 18 months shows(at least locally)
that the RPG consulting & contract programming market is relatively flat --
but not declining.  Whether that flatness is due to the economy or lack of
growth on the iSeries I can't say.  What has grown on the iSeries are
skills such as net.data, java, domino & related products.  We have one
fulltime person dedicated to net.data programming and 1.5 positions
dedicated to Domino admin & development.  That may not seem like much but
18 months ago we had no net.data demand and no Domino demand.  Additionally
we have seen tremendous interest in Sametime.  These are all
products/technologies that run on the iSeries  but do not utilize
traditional RPG skills.  A couple of our consultants have not been able to
pickup the net.data programming skills very quickly so they are focusing on
our existing RPG programming opportunities while employees who have been
more receptive to new technologies are learning those skills.  So we have
increased our staffing dedicated to the iSeries marketplace but not in the
traditional programming area.

Bob Laing
GEMKO Information Group

                    HankHeath@aol.com
                    Sent by:                 To:     java400-l@midrange.com
                    java400-l-admin@mi       cc:
                    drange.com               Subject:     Delphi Experiment:
The AS/400 in 2004

                    03/28/2002 10:44
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    java400-l

I'm advising a consulting group on where to redirect their attention.
They've
been in the AS/400 programming business for 15 years, and now things are
looking slim. My advice is to diversify away from the AS/400 market.
However,
I've been wrong before.

Thought I'd turn it over to the experts, using a Delphi process (refer:
http://www.tcdc.com/dmeths/dmeth5b.htm). So, feel free to respond directly
me on this question: What will be the market for AS/400 programming
services
in 2004?

I'll gather the responses, consolidate them, and republish the request
until
we settle on a consensus or frozen disagreement.

Thanks
Hank Heath
IS Mgr
Dunn Corporate Resources