Hi there.

This problem is definitely with the TCP/IP configuration on the AS/400
host.

Try CFGTCP -> Option 10 and make sure your own hostname and address are in
the table.

The steps RAWT takes, as it starts on the host, are roughly:
  1. get the local host (AS/400) address, using standard java.net.*
interfaces
  2. handshake with the GUI specified in RmtAwtServer property, using known
port (2000)
  3. open a server socket on local host (AS/400) and get its port number
  4. send the host address/port to the GUI, which connects back

Your scenario appears to be failing in step 1.

Here's a little test program that basically tries to do just step 1...

//--------8<------- cut here --------8<-------
// file: ShowLocalHost.java
import java.net.*;
public class ShowLocalHost {
    try {
      InetAddress myLocalHost = InetAddress.getLocalHost();
      String myName = myLocalHost.getHostName();
      String myAddr = myLocalHost.getHostAddress();
      System.out.println("OK: " + myName + " @ " + myAddr);
      System.exit(0);
    } catch (UnknownHostException e) {
      System.err.println("FAILURE: " + e.getMessage());
      e.printStackTrace();
      System.exit(1);
//--------8<------- cut here --------8<-------

HTH.

-blair

Blair Wyman -- iSeries JVM -- (507) 253-2891
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I was born not knowing, and have had only a
little time to change that here and there."   -- Richard P. Feynman

                      jzhao@mkcdn.com
                      Sent by:                 To:       java400-l@midrange.com
                      java400-l-admin@m        cc:
                      idrange.com              Subject:  RAWT problem

                      02/08/2002 12:19
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      java400-l

Hi everybody:

I am runing a simple Testframe  program from AS400, and try to display a
frame on my desktop. I have JDK1.1.7 in AS400 and JDK1.1.8_008 in my
workstation( P4 surported). I am able to run Remote-AWT on my desktop, but
when I run the program from my AS400, I get the following error:

Remote-AWT version is rawt_1.1_0_jdk1.1.7
(RAWT1012010)
Remote-AWT cannot start.

Local host does not have a local host IP address.
Consult your system administrator if needed.

The command I entered on AS400 is: RUNJVA CLASS(Testframe) PROP
((RmtAwtServer '10.20.2.28') (os400.class.path.rawt 1) (java.version
'1.1.7'))
10.20.2.28 is my workstation's IP address, and I can ping it from as400.

On my desktop I copied RWATGui.zip and jt400.zip to my personal folder. the
path and classpath are set up as:

SET JDK=C:\JieZhao\jdk1.1.8

SET PATH=%JDK%\bin;%PATH%

SET CLASSPATH=C:\JieZhao\rawt\RAWTGui.zip;C:
\JieZhao\jdk1.1.8\lib\classes.zip;
C:\JieZhao\jt400\jt400.zip;C:
\jieZhao\jdk1.1.8\swing\swing-1.1.1fcs\swing.jar;
C:\JieZhao\jdk1.1.8\swing\swing-1.1.1fcs\windows.jar;
C:\JieZhao\java\javasource

>From mailing list archive, somebody mentioned about host table. Do I need
to set up my local IP address in teh host table? Could anybody give me a
clue what I did wrong? Thanks in advance.

Jie Zhao