Yes, except they are not formatted.  A data area usually holds one type of
data (string, number, boolean, ...) and at times the system helps  make
sure you put correct data in a data area.  You get no help with user space.
It is just a big byte array.

David Wall
AS/400 Toolbox for Java

                      "Eyers, Daniel"
                      <daniel.eyers@hon        To:
"'java400-l@midrange.com'" <java400-l@midrange.com>
                      eywell.com>              cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: User Space
                      java400-l-admin@m
                      idrange.com

                      01/24/2002 09:07
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      java400-l

Are user spaces like very large Data Areas?

dan