> From: Joe Pluta
>
> It's really quite sad.  Visual Age for Java is the best OO
> editor I have ever used, and losing it for the sake of some
> "corporate vision" is very, very troubling.  I can understand
> the desire to have a single tool with a common interface from
> a fiscal standpoint, but at the same time, are they willing
> to flush all the money they've invested in VAJ?  It's sad to
> think that, yes, that's exactly what IBM is willing to do.

Joe --

I think you owe it to yourself to try Eclipse and to download the WSAD
trial version based on it.  As you said, Eclipse is an open-source
project and the IDE is available for free from http://www.eclipse.org.
This is largely the effort of Object Technology International which is
an IBM company and uses lots of the VAJ technology.  I think you'll find
the transition from VAJ -very- easy and that the features that you like
(and more) are already there.  It combines the best features of VAJ and
file-based IDEs.

WSAD is a set of plug-ins based on Eclipse that allow the easy
development of JSPs, servlets, and EJBs.  The free trial is downloadable
from
http://www7b.boulder.ibm.com/dl/swws/priv/swwsgddb-h?S_PKG=dl_wssad_gv.
You may need to register to use this site but it's free.

The thing I also like about Eclipse is that it has an active bugzilla
database where enhancements and bug reports are readily accepted and
addressed quickly.  I've already had a few enhancements accepted and the
next release will pretty good, I think.

> In any event, I'm taking a wait and see attitude on the new
> toolset.  Until I'm either comfortable that it has the same
> functionality as VAJ, or else I've lowered my standards of
> what an IDE should provide, I'm sticking with my good old VAJ.

As a long time VAJEE user, I've really come to like the performance and
features of WSAD.  Check it out!

Gary