OK.  Sorry for the vagueness.  Here's the problem.

This code correctly prints out the value for VEOE if I open it as READ_ONLY.  If
I run the same routine but open the file as READ_WRITE, no record is found.  No
exceptions occur, but the routine never enters the if (record != null) clause.

                             VendFile.open(AS400File.READ_ONLY, 0,
AS400File.COMMIT_LOCK_LEVEL_NONE);
                   Object[] keyObj = new Object[]{new String(transVendorNumber2
                              Record record =
VendFile.read(keyObj,com.ibm.as400.access.KeyedFile.KEY_LE);
          if (record != null) {
               // The vendor exists.  Get the VEOE for the Vendor and increment
it.
               BigDecimal openEncumber = (BigDecimal)record.getField("VEOE");

The permissions on the file are set so that my group as *all, and public has
*change.

Amy

|--------+---------------------------->
|        |          "Joe Pluta"       |
|        |          <joepluta@PlutaBro|
|        |          thers.com>        |
|        |                            |
|        |          12/08/2001 10:14  |
|        |          AM                |
|        |          Please respond to |
|        |          java400-l         |
|        |                            |
|--------+---------------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                       |
  |      To:     java400-l@midrange.com                   |
  |      cc:     (bcc: Amy K Anuszewski/WSC)              |
  |      Subject:     RE: I know this must be a stupid    |
  |       question - updating a record                    |

I know you're frustrated, Amy, but hang in there and hopefully we can help
you <grin>.  "Nothing is printing out" is a little vague, so why don't you
show us some example code and let us take a look.  I know that I've read and
updated data using the RLA classes.

Joe