I am stuck once again, and am in desperate need of help.  Quick overview:  I
need to access data stored on our AS400 in older System 36 type files.  Thus,
the physical file has a structure that basically only declares a delete code, a
key, and then a long stream of data.

Thus, I have been forced to define my own record format within java.  I am able
to read the file sequentially, but when I try to read it as a keyed file, it
doesn't seem to find the key.

This is a snippet of the code:

// Set up the PO File
     CharacterFieldDescription deleteCode = new CharacterFieldDescription(new
AS400Text(1), "POCODE"); //1
     CharacterFieldDescription PONumber = new CharacterFieldDescription(new
AS400Text(8), "PONO");  //2-9
     BinaryFieldDescription subRecord = new BinaryFieldDescription(new
AS400Bin2(), "POSUB"); //10-11
     CharacterFieldDescription accountNumber = new CharacterFieldDescription(new
AS400Text(29), "POACCT"); //12-40
     CharacterFieldDescription vendorNumber = new CharacterFieldDescription(new
AS400Text(7), "POVND#"); //41-47
     CharacterFieldDescription filler1 = new CharacterFieldDescription(new
AS400Text(29), "FILLER"); //48-53
     PackedDecimalFieldDescription poAmount = new
PackedDecimalFieldDescription(new AS400PackedDecimal(6,2),"POAMT"); //54-59

     QSYSObjectPathName POfilePathName  = new QSYSObjectPathName("QS36F",
"AB.PO","FILE");
     POFile = new KeyedFile(system, POfilePathName.getPath());
     AS400FileRecordDescription recDesc = new AS400FileRecordDescription(system,
POfilePathName.getPath());
     try {
          RecordFormat recFormat = new RecordFormat("YB.PO@");
          recFormat.addFieldDescription(deleteCode);
          recFormat.addFieldDescription(PONumber);
          recFormat.addFieldDescription(subRecord);
          recFormat.addFieldDescription(accountNumber);
          recFormat.addFieldDescription(vendorNumber);
          recFormat.addFieldDescription(filler1);
          recFormat.addFieldDescription(poAmount);

          // set up keys
          recFormat.addKeyFieldDescription("PONO");
          recFormat.addKeyFieldDescription("POSUB");

          POFile.setRecordFormat(recFormat);

and :

try {
          POFile.open(AS400File.READ_ONLY, 0, AS400File.COMMIT_LOCK_LEVEL_NONE);
          Object[] key = new Object[] {tranPONumber};
          Record record = POFile.read(key);
          if (record != null) {
               System.out.println((String)record.getField("PONO"));
          }
          POFile.close();

It never seems to find the key, even when I am sure that the tranPONumber that I
am seeking does exist in the file.

I am getting desperate.  Can anybody see a glaring error in the code, or maybe
somebody has an example of accessing a keyed data file when you have to describe
your own record format?

Thank you,
Amy