(taking back the soapbox for *just a moment*) *grins*

Performance was only one reason for supporting SQL.  In any programming
language, the hallmarks of good code are functionality and documentation.
Performance is a distant 3rd (or maybe 4th and 5th).

As a quality expert (I'm a certified Six Sigma Blackbelt), I can tell you
that quality is very much in the eyes of the beholder.  If I can deliver a
solution to the customer that satisfies his/her need (that includes
performance), I'm done.  There is a dimished returns effect; the more I
chase any particular attribute, the more time I have to spend... I'm
reminded of the "creeping elegance" problem at Apple with the Apple III
product. There is a TQP tool called a QFD (quality functional deployment)
that helps designers understand and prioritize the needs of the customers.
Sometimes, good enough is good enough.

At this time, SQL is "good enough" for my needs and the needs of my
customers.  By leveraging SQL, I can bring in DBAs for the backend who may
not understand RPG but sure understand first- and second- level predicates.
I can hire HTML folks to create presentation layer and let my internal folks
handle the business logic (in java).  I also maintain a strong upgrade path
and use the right tool for the job, and I'm fairly well-aligned with the
"n-tier" methodology.  *grins* I love it when a plan comes together.....

What I hear you saying is that in your experience, you have found that RPG
is gives you a needed performance boost that your customers demand.  You
have choosen a pragmatic approach that works well in your environment.  Fair
enough; I'm just pointing out that your solution may not be the best
solution is *all* cases.  Honestly, I get some pretty good performance from
the JDBC driver.  I really don't see much difference between SQL and RPG.

Anyway, I think we both agree that "n-tier" development is a great way to
develop web-based systems.  I think we just differ where the lines of
demarcation are drawn....  I value maintainability, you value performance.
In my experience, those two attributes are usually at odds, anyway....  It
maybe a product of my education; both my undergrad and masters are in
business, not in computer science.....

dan