  • Subject: Re: Problem when running Visual Age
  • From: Jim Mason <JEMason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:06:01 -0400

Hi Azeem.

As Gary correctly points out, knowing the OS version is important.
I run Windows NT 4.0 with service pack 6a, a very stable environment.
I never get a blue screen of death even IF VisualAge terminates abnormally.
I am running VisualAge for Java Enterprise, 3.5.2.
It generally is VERY good.

The REALLY good news is nothing is LOST if the environment
crashes except the current method you were editing that hasn't been
saved.  All your work exists in the repository file (ivj.dat) that
you can recover to your workspace after fixing the workspace image....

When you have repeated crashes in VisualAge like you mention:

1 Your image file ( ide.icx) probably has a corruption in it somewhere.

2 You can try to clear any corrupted cached classes that may cause the
problem first:

  workbench | windows | options | general | cache
  clear memory cache
  clear disk cache
  then apply
  then ok to exit
  then exit VisualAge normally
  AFTER restarting VisualAge the cached objects are cleared.

IF this doesn't work, try unloading and reloading your custom applications

3 Unload and reload your applications to the workspace

Put all your custom applications in a single Solution object in the
repository.
Delete the applications from the workspace.
Again, clear the cache in step 2.
Exit VisualAge.
Start VisualAge.
Reload the Solution set bringing in all your applications.
If you still have a problem, it is with a Java or VisualAge class, not your
work.

IF this doesn't work, the you must rebuild your image file
from a backup copy....

4  Get a new IDE.ICX file and update your workspace

First save all your current work in a Solution object in your repository
(ivj.dat FILE) per instructions above.

Get a GOOD backup copy of IDE.ICX and copy over the one you have.
(preferrably you saved one at install time from the fix pack or the
original install that we KNOW is clean).

Restart VisualAge with the clean workspace image file.
Reload the Java and IBM features you had loaded before to your workspace.
Reload your applications from the Solution in the repository.
Save your workspace.

You should be fine.

I've never had a failure like you describe that couldn't be corrected
this way.

The "blue screen" of death is an OS failure in your fix packs and OS.
An application failure shouldn't crash the OS...

Jim Mason

Message text written by INTERNET:JAVA400-L@midrange.com

Sorry that you're having problems.  What version of VAJ are you on and
what platform.  I'm on Enterprise 3.5.3 and it has been very stable
under Win2K.

Gary